There more and more interest in DIY projects than every before. In addition to bringing back creative juices to one’s existence, it subtracts those elements that take away from our creative expression, namely toxic-sensitizing chemicals that off-gas fumes irritating to eyes and lungs, putting you, children, and pets at risk.
Homemade solutions and ideas are posted under this tab to serve as a resource center for MCSers and others who seek healthful actions. You will need to scroll down to discover what is posted as they may not be indexed separately.
A quick way to find something on this web site is to use the search field located in the right column beneath the Yellow Canary Logo on each page.
- Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
- Septic Health
- Homemade Lotion
You may want to experiment with the following:
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
- 2 cups Washing soda or Baking soda (cuts grease, great all-purpose cleaner)
- 2 cups Borax (natural cleaner and disinfectant)
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt or Epsom salt (reduces the effects of hard water)
- 1/2 cup vinegar (added cleaning power, liquid to help bind the ingredients)
- 15-20 drops of Lemon essential oil (added cleaning power, antibacterial properties, smells great!)
- Mix all the ingredients well with a wooden spoon. Expect the vinegar to fizzle a little.
- Transfer the mixture (which will clump on its own) into two ice-cube trays. Press down until each compartment is hard packed with the mixture.
- Let them harden and dry well before using the tabs. If it is a sunny day, place them in a sunny spot. They need to sit for at least 24 hours.
- To store, use a container with a tight-fitting lid.
- To use, ad 1 tablet to your dishwasher detergent compartment with not more than three drops of “safe” dish-washing liquid or none at all. Then splash 1/2-1 c white vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and start the dishwasher. The vinegar will prevent cloudy glasses and dishes. (Note: The juice of 1/2 of a lemon works well.)
If you are on a septic, here is how you add good bacteria to the septic tank to break down waste: Flush about one ounce of pure brewers’ yeast down one toilet (if in a two-story, toilet on the bottom floor of the house) once a month.
Whipped Body Butter Lotion
- 1 cup of cocoa butter (find unrefined cocoa butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of jojoba oil or other liquid oil (e.g., almond or a mild olive oil)
- Using a double boiler, gently metl cocoa butter and coconut oil until completely blended into a liquid.
- Stir in jojoba or other liquid oil.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator until the oil mixture begins to firm, but has not turned completely solid. This may take longer than you expect – several hours at least.
- Using a standing mixer or hand mixer, whip the semi-solid mixture until white peaks form.
- Scoop into glass jars and allow to chill for an hour in the fridge.
This homemade lotion with remain whipped in moderate temperatures. If the house is particularly hot, store th body butter lotion in the refrigerator. If it melts back to oil, simple re-chill and re-whip.
The consistency of this lotion is true to it’s name: whipped body butter – and as such, it does leave a thin layer of oil when applied.
Read more: http://holisticsquid.com/whipped-body-butter-homemade-lotion/#ixzz2gW6UjC5w