Another recipe from Healthy Slow Cooking , an all vegan site.
This may sound like a weird recipes, but it really works. It is soy-free gluten-free. The following serves four.
- 4 sizeable, organic carrots, cut into bun lengths with ends removed
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar with a dash of salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (can sub soy sauce but use unseasoned vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/2 clove garlic minced
- a dash or two liquid smoke
- pepper to taste
Fill a pot about half-way full of water, heat it on high until it boils. Turn down to medium heat and add the carrots. Cook until you can just pierce it through with a fork. You want it to still have a snap when you eat it. Run cold water over them to stop them from cooking more.
Combine the other ingredients to make the marinade. Use a container that has a tight lid so you can easily shake it without spraying it all over your kitchen. Marinate at least 3 hours.
Put the carrots in the container and marinade for a few hours to up to a few days. If you marinate them longer they take on more of the vinegar flavor.
To serve heat the carrots in a 350 degree oven or on in a grill pan on a hot grill until heated through. It should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve in a toasted “carrot” dog bun with your favorite toppings. They’re great the southern way topped with chili and cole slaw! Prep these on a weekend and you’re ready for a quick weeknight treat.
Mini Beer-Battered Veggie “Corn” Dog
View the YouTube below to see how it is made. Some of you may not want to use your micro-brew IPA, but here it is:
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of flax meal (instead of corn meal) with 1/4 cup water.
- Let that soak for about 10 minutes, until it forms a gel.
- Use just like he uses the egg in the recipe!