DIY All-Purpose Anti-Bacterial Essential Oil Blend
- 30 drops clove essential oil (where to buy)
- 25 drops lemon essential oil
- 20 drops cinnamon bark essential oil
- 16 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
Combine all oils and store in a dark glass container. You can always double the recipe. You can use this blend in your diffuser to purify the air or add into your homemade cleaning products.
How to Make Homemade Aluminum Free Baking Powder
1 part baking soda
2 parts cream of tarter
Store this is a tightly sealed jar in your cupboard.
Conventional baking powder contains aluminum and GMO corn starch. The correlation between aluminum and brain damage, including Alzheimer’s disease, has been established by extensive research and is reason enough to avoid aluminum exposure. Another study published in the Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry found that aluminum can increase the spread of breast cancer cells. Source: livingtraditionally.com
Reduce Toxins in Your Mattress
Made with different petroleum-based chemicals (in foams, plastics, flame retardants), mattresses have one too many toxins (for example, the popular memory foam mattress was lab tested that revealed 61 VOCs and four known carcinogens).
“Memory foam mattresses contain Polyol (Poly Ether Gycol), Silicone Surfactant, Tertiary Amine, Stannous Octoate, Flame Retardant, TDI (Toluene Di-Isocyanate), Pigments/Dyes. According to Hazardous Substances Fact Sheet, TDI sould be handled as CARCINOGEN–WITH EXTREME CAUTION! The Federal government has proven these chemicals leach to the surface of our mattresses and are absorbed by our bodies.
“According to NonToxicBed.com, “the new flameproof mattress regulation (July-07 National, Jan-05 California) requires all mattresses now withstand a severe open flame test. This requires known acutely toxic and cancer causing chemicals in or next to the surface of all mattresses. It is proven we will absorb these chemicals every night.”
- Boric acid, a toxic respiratory irritant used to kill roaches
- Formaldehyde, which causes cancer
- Antimony, a metal that may be more toxic than mercury
Simply cut up a large onion into three pieces and place them underneath your bed near the head, center, and feet of the bed. Onions will pull toxic chemicals from the mattress thus preventing them from being released into the air.
Scientists looking for new cleaning compounds used onions from canning factories with various industrial wastes. They found that onions absorbed about 70 percent of toxins — including arsenic, cadmium, mercury and lead — and they could be reused to clean again.
f you own a conventional memory foam mattress or other non- organic mattress, use onions to reduce toxins in the air. Not only do they pull toxic chemicals out of the air, they’re cheap and easy to find.
How To Make Reed Diffusers With Essential Oils
- Add about 1/3 cup of your carrier oil.
- Add about 10-15 drops of essential oils and shake the mixture to blend well.
- Add the oil mixture to your jar.
- Put reeds into the oil and allow them to sit for one hour.
- Flip the reeds over after an hour to saturate the top part of the reeds that stick out above the oil level.
- Rotate the ends of the reeds or skewers once a week to refresh and prolong the fragrance.